Saturday, July 17, 2010

My first look.

We were driving and my daughter was tired and restless.  Since I was in the back seat, I kept giving her toys to play with, hoping to engage her for a few more minutes.  Finally, we all decided that we needed to stop engaging her, so that she could fall asleep.  We did this knowing that there would be a brief period of crying before she transitioned into sleep.  As we suspected, she started crying.  I tried to ignore her by looking out the window or twiddling my thumbs. (It is VERY hard to ignore a crying baby!)  Finally, I looked up at her and there it was my first GLARE.  I was horrified.  My loving, sweet baby girl was looking at me with hate in her eyes.  "Steve," I said to my husband, "our daughter just gave me my first mad look."  He reached back to give my hand a squeeze and said lovingly, "There will be many more of those."  Before long, my daughter was sound asleep.  She awoke an hour later with a huge smile on her face and pounced into my arms with a giggle, all anger forgotten.  Phew!  I survived my first glare!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Creative Crossings. Peggy Rubens-Ellis, M.Ed. Certified Parent Coach: My first look.

My first look.

We were driving and my daughter was tired and restless.  Since I was in the back seat, I kept giving her toys to play with, hoping to engage her for a few more minutes.  Finally, we all decided that we needed to stop engaging her, so that she could fall asleep.  We did this knowing that there would be a brief period of crying before she transitioned into sleep.  As we suspected, she started crying.  I tried to ignore her by looking out the window or twiddling my thumbs. (It is VERY hard to ignore a crying baby!)  Finally, I looked up at her and there it was my first GLARE.  I was horrified.  My loving, sweet baby girl was looking at me with hate in her eyes.  "Steve," I said to my husband, "our daughter just gave me my first mad look."  He reached back to give my hand a squeeze and said lovingly, "There will be many more of those."  Before long, my daughter was sound asleep.  She awoke an hour later with a huge smile on her face and pounced into my arms with a giggle, all anger forgotten.  Phew!  I survived my first glare!

Labels: